Honors Peer Academic Advisor Job Description
The Campuswide Honors Program (CHP) invites interested CHP students to apply for the position of Honors Peer Academic Advisor (PAA). Honors PAAs will serve for the entire 2015-16 academic year and are expected to participate in the training offered during Spring Quarter 2015 and prior to Welcome Week in September 2015, in preparation for Welcome Week and Fall 2015 activities.
Honors PAAs hold office hours and advise both prospective and currently enrolled CHP students about UCI, the Honors Program, and various campus resources. The job responsibilities are somewhat different from other PAAs on campus because they also work/coordinate with CHP staff and student leaders on various extracurricular programs and activities (for example, quarterly Faculty Coffee Hour, events planned in the honors housing facilities or by the Campuswide Honors Student Council (CHSC), Honors Experience Day, Celebrate UCI, and some social/cultural events). They have a substantial role in the orientation of new CHP freshmen, specifically through their mandatory group meetings during Welcome Week. They facilitate communication with other students as well, and focus on developing student-faculty interactions. Together with the Honors Advisors and CHP staff, Honors PAAs help create and develop the close-knit community that is an essential part of the Campuswide Honors Program at UC Irvine.
Required Qualifications (What the candidate should bring to the job):
- Counsel CHP students on major selection, class scheduling, preparing for postgraduate study or jobs, etc. Provide information to students regarding honors curriculum and Program policies, the petition process, the research and thesis process, and other related honors issues. Advise prospective applicants to the CHP regarding requirements and procedures for admission, benefits, and graduation requirements.
- Maintain awareness of current CHP course offerings and programs; CHP, major, and UCI requirements; University resources and support services; CHP and University deadlines and policies. Be a strong advocate for UCI and the CHP.
- Develop, coordinate and implement student/faculty interactions and other academically-oriented events (i.e. workshops, Faculty Coffee Hour, and special advising programs). Work with Honors staff and other CHP student leaders (through CHSC and honors housing) to provide a range of social, cultural, and extracurricular events for all CHP students. Attend all CHSC meetings and be an involved member of the CHP community.
- Offer assistance and consultation to campus organizations that require information about honors students and/or the Honors Program.
- Serve as a liaison between administrative personnel, faculty, and honors students in resolving advising concerns or problems; refer students as needed. Convey honors student concerns/issues to CHP staff, as appropriate.
- Assist in planning and implementing special projects/events (such as prospective student outreach, Honors Experience Day, beach BBQs, and the annual camping retreat). Evaluate and write up feedback after completion of each event.
- Participate in all training seminars prior to employment (general and in unit, as outlined in this application).
- As a member of the Academic Advisory Committee (AAC), meet regularly with other campus PAAs to make recommendations for advising improvements, discuss advising issues, and receive further training as necessary. Maintain accurate record of students served through online tally system.
- Current student in good standing with the CHP, with a minimum GPA of 3.2
- As of Fall 2015, be at least third-year status (as defined by year in school, not by units completed)
- Must intend to hold the Honors Peer Academic Advisor position for the full academic year (2015-2016)
- Have clearly demonstrated leadership skills and experience in developing/coordinating academic/extra-curricular programs
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to develop supportive interactions with other students, both one-on-one and within groups
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team-oriented environment
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously
Competencies to be Acquired (What the candidate can expect to learn on the job):
- Students who have completed/will complete all honors course sequences and research, as required by the CHP
- Experience using the following programs: Microsoft Word, Excel, Microsoft Access or some other database program, desktop publishing software or experience creating flyers/newsletters
- Experience using social media to communicate with groups
- Experience with UCI services and resources
Training, Service, and Salary:
- Experience in paraprofessional counseling on an individual and group basis
- Referral skills and cooperative working skills with University staff members
- Increased awareness of University services and academic program operations
- Enhancement of leadership, organization, and communication skills
MANDATORY Training (MUST be available):
- Spring 2015: Thursdays, 5-7 p.m. plus additional hours (to be determined) spent shadowing current Honors PAAs in the Honors Office, planning the CHP Spring Beach BBQ, participating in the Celebrate UCI Honors Information Panel and helping current Honors PAAs plan Spring Faculty Coffee Hour
- September 14-17: Additional training in the Honors Office (20 hours during the week before Welcome Week)
- September 18: General PAA Refresher Training
- Early-Mid August, 2015: At least one of the Honors PAAs MUST be available to work in the Honors Office to:
(NOTE: If not available to come to campus in person, all Honors PAAs MUST be "contactable" in some way during this time)
- Schedule all Freshman Meetings
- Prepare insert for CHP Summer Mailing
- Develop flyer for CHP Fall Beach BBQ
- Other tasks as needed
- September 14-17: Besides additional training (20 hours) in the Honors Office, Honors PAAs will also help prepare and finalize plans for Welcome Week events and early fall activities
- During Welcome Week: 20 hours, including Freshman Meetings and all CHP New Student Orientation Programs
- During Academic Year: 10 hours/week, including participation in all Academic Advisory Committee (AAC) meetings (currently held every even week of each quarter, on Wednesdays from 5-6 p.m.), and other campus PAA activities throughout the year. Also includes other required meetings, such as the bi-weekly CHSC meetings and meetings with the Honors Advisors
- Help with campus-wide events during the year, such as Honors Experience Day and Celebrate UCI
- $10.50 per hour (subject to budget approval)
APPLICATIONS and résumés are due by 4 p.m. on Friday, January 16, 2015. Please apply online.
INTERVIEWS will be conducted between January 21 - February 6, 2015. You will be contacted to set up an interview once you submit your application and résumé.
We strongly encourage you to contact a current Honors PAA at (949) 824-8409 or email@example.com if you have questions or would like to talk more about what this position entails. For additional information, you may also contact one of the Honors Advisors, Mary Gillis or Christina Treble, at (949) 824-5461.